Friday 29 June 2012

Harrogate League 2012

Let's begin by saying a big 'well done' to everyone from Otley AC who turned out for the final Harrogate League race yesterday evening.

The off-road 8k course was exceptionally muddy and, in places, it was like trying to run on an ice skating rink.  I slipped, of course, at about halfway but got up (covered in mud, grazes and bruises) and managed to run strongly and pull back lots of places helping the club to their first overall League win since 2009.

The women also won their competition, for only the second time ever.  And we also won the elite competition ... that's three wins out of six team competitions.  Fantastic.

Thanks too to Nidd Valley Road Runners and Vocalink RC for organising the race, and to Paul Wood for all his hard work compiling results.

Last night I finished in 57th position (out of 232) with a time of 35:49.  I know it's not too fast but I'm happy with that for three reasons:

1 - it was only six days after a 100 miler and I just ran how I felt ... faster if I felt good, slower if I didn't
2 - the mud was terrible, I never feel comfortable when slipping and sliding everywhere
3 - I beat at least five runners that I expected to finish behind

Also ... I won a prize in the raffle.  Some electrolyte tablets which will be very useful indeed.

Well, that's all for now.  I've got a race report to write.

No comments: